The David Parr House
The David Parr House… it’s really so hard to articulate how jawdropping this precious treasure is to Cambridge history, to the arts and crafts history and to uniqueness.
This home is an extraordinary testimony to craft created by 'artist-painter' David Parr (1854/5- 1927) in his small terraced house in Cambridge.
David Parr was a working-class painter employed by the decorative arts company F R Leach & Sons, whose clients included Jesus College, Cambridge and the church of All Saints on Jesus Lane. The workshop was on City Road in Cambridge. Over a period of forty years, Parr decorated his own terraced house in the manner of these grand Arts & Crafts interiors, creating hand-painted wall decoration, Gothic carvings and stained glass panels - using the house as a a practical canvas. It was also a family home, where Parr and his wife Mary raised three children.
Parr died in 1927 and the house passed to his wife and then his granddaughter, Elsie Palmer, who cared for the interiors for the next 85 years and raised her own family here. After her death, the house was purchased from the family and taken into the stewardship of a charitable trust. Following a successful application to the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2015, the David Parr House team are in the process of repairing and restoring the house and its interiors in order to open it to the public in May 2019.
You can read all about the house on the website or better still come and visit for a tour when it reopens.
Hello Lovely were delighted to create A1 posters for the Cambridge Air Fair, postcards and the exhibition stand too.